HUDCO’s HSMI publishes a bi-annual magazine named 'Shelter', on themes relevant to the sector. It also publishes a compendium on the ‘Best Practices Awards’, annually given to agencies for innovative practices to improve the living environment. Besides, HSMI also publishes research studies reports carried out by it as well as in collaborations with other research institutions. The means of dissemination of Research studies are by putting up in HUDCO Intra- & Website; sending to Stakeholders- ULBs and other borrowing agencies; sending to MoHUA and other concerned Ministries/ Departments;Publication of research articles in reputed Journals;Publication of Research Reports; Research Seminars; Stakeholders’ Meet; and HSMI Library.
Shelter is published Bi-Annually in the months of April & October such that it is released on HUDCO Annual Day Celebrations in April and World Habitat Day celebrations in October. The themes of April & October issues of Shelter of last 7 years are as under:
The themes are aligned with the government of India missions and schemes as also the UN Habitat themes such as
- Housing For All: A Better Urban Future- The focus on the catalytic role of housing for building back better urban future has special significance for India in the context of Government of India’s sustained efforts, through its flagship programme of ‘Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana– Housing for All (Urban)’ since 2015 with a mission to provide housing for all in urban areas by 2022, with 4 different housing options, thereby fulfilling the aspirations of millions of households to have a decent living.
- Affordable Housing & Sustainable Urban Development
- Frontier Technologies as an Innovative Tool to transform Waste to Wealth- The theme of World Habitat Day 2019 (WHD) was selected to foster Frontier technologies that could contribute to sustainable development include artificial intelligence, 3D printing, drones, biofuel and nanotechnologies which are advanced and innovative technologies resulting in a rapid or incremental change that creates more value for the users.
- Swachh Bharat Mission(SBM):This theme had special significance for India in the context of Government of India’s sustained waste management efforts, through its flagship programme of ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’ (SBM), which have yielded significant positive results in the waste management front.
- Compendium of Best Practices in Urban Service Delivery of ULBs (Annually).
- Cities of India, HUDCO Chair, NIUA (2016)
- Compendium of Layouts and Designs (2016).
- Peri-Urbanization in Himachal Pradesh, HUDCO Chair, HIPA, Shimla,(2016)
- Urban Development in North-western India, HUDCO Chair, CRRID, Chandigarh (2016)
- Land-based Instruments for Financing Smart Cities in India, HUDCO Chair, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad,(2016)
- Inclusionary Zoning and Housing: International Practices and Lessons for India, HUDCO Chair, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad,(2016)
- Municipal Property Tax Reforms in India, HUDCO Chair, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad,(2016)
- Innovative Models of Land Assembly for Planned Urbanisation in India, HUDCO Chair, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad,(2016)
- Summary of Proceedings of workshop on ‘Human Settlements Planning and Design: A shared Understanding’
- ‘Transit Corridor Development’ under the CITYNET National Chapter
- ‘Improvement of Public Transportation system, the missing links’, under the CITYNET National Chapter